Thursday 6 November 2008

Day 4. San Francisco. Election frenzy.


Our last day in the Shaky City and we finally see some sunshine. It also happens to be Election Day, and there’s a palpable air of excitement and expectation in the air. California has traditionally been a Republican state but San Francisco has always bucked the trend and judging by the number of Obama posters, flags, badges and bumper stickers on show it looks like being a safe seat for the good guys.

Fingers crossed.

Of course, electing a new world leader is one thing, but as far as we were concerned, buying a pair of trousers for the forthcoming wedding was far more important. As we finish breakfast, Wend convinces me - not unreasonably - that turning up at Caz and Hoady’s big day in flip flops and camouflaged army shorts wouldn’t be one of my cooler moves, so we catch the bus downtown and hit the shops.

Normally I hate shopping, the whole exercise just seems so tedious and frivolous. Tends to eat into the budget too. But I will admit, it was fairly swift and painless today; we only visited one shop and were in and out in 15 minutes.

Modesty forbids me to brag about the cut and elegance of the new outfit. My personal shopper however, reckons I’ll be turning more heads than the bride.

Sorry Caz.

No comments: